Text with 911 (T911) is an emergency texting service for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Speech Impaired (DHHSI) customers. If you are a DHHSI customer and want to be able to text with a 911 operator, follow these steps:
- Register for the T911 service by calling customer service at 1-866-99-KOODO (1-866-995-6636). You must agree to Koodo’s T911 terms of service to use this service.
- In an emergency, dial 911 on your smartphone to access the 911 center in your area. They will receive an indicator that tells them to communicate with you through text messaging.
- Call 911 as if you were making any other phone call. Keep the call active in the background but return to your home screen to read a text message from the 911 operator.
- You must wait for the 911 operator to start the text messaging session with you. Do not start the session by text messaging 911. This is not supported and you will receive an error message.
- Do not end the voice call to 911. It allows the 911 operator to hear the emergency and also receive important information including a call back number and location information.
- When the emergency has ended, you will get a text message indicating the end of the session with the 911 operator. You can then end the voice portion of the 911 call.
For more information on where T911 is available in Canada, visit: textwith911.ca
This service is only available to DHHSI customers who have agreed to Koodo's T911 terms of service.